Client: Automotive Safety Systems Manufacturer
Technology: Ultrasonic Evaluation Testing UT
The client part was a deep draw formed component, which was mechanically fastened to a mating part. The process of draw forming can lead to laps, tears, delamination or other potential flaws. An automotive part with flaws can split or rupture during assembly at a client’s plant, or can become a latent defect prone to split or rupture, once in the field.
AMS developed a custom, high speed Ultrasonic Examination tailored to the specific area of interest.
- This automotive safety systems manufacturer experienced a reduction in number of issues at assembly and fewer complaints by end users.
- The typical reject rates average at one percent, and without ongoing Ultrasonic Testing and examination, many more component failure incidents would occur.
- The client’s PPM expectations for the deep draw formed components were met.
- The client’s on-time delivery targets were met.
- The client’s machine uptime and throughput were increased.
- Onsite sorting activities in the client’s plant were avoided.
Over 5 years of mass production more than
potentially defective parts have been identified and contained.